Friday, November 14, 2008

Moving forward ...

After quite some time of no progress at all, I finally got back to work on the Series project.

These past few months have been busy for us as we celebrated the birth of our son Ethan, his stay in the NICU, a move across town, two birthdays, four wheeling trips and an extremely busy ops tempo at work. All in all, we just haven't had loads of time. On top of that Shawna decided to give her P38 springs instead of fixing the airbags so that repair was accomplished as well.

Last weekend though, after staring woefully at the Series in the garage whose progress had not changed in months, I decided to take some time and get moving. My welder had been over earlier that weekend and gave me some good news concerning the frame rebuild and so I started with new enthusiasm. Part of his good news though, was that he'd need a bare frame to get it done right, so I set to work.

The front axle housing was pulled without much fuss at all. Everything unbolted as it should have and there weren't any real surprises. When the spring hangers were unbolted though the driver side frame horn that had already failed just fell apart completely, merely firming the reasoning for the tear-down to begin with.

There were scored marks on the axle housing where the frame had been rubbing!

The rear axle housing was a little more difficult though as jack-stand placement didn't jump out at me immediately. I had to get creative, but when all was said and done it worked out okay. The housing is currently still sitting under the truck, unbolted though, awaiting the front to get it's time with the POR-15.

The front axle has been gone over with steel wire brush and degreased and cleaned. Fluids have been drained and serial numbers have been documented in case I can't find a good way of preserving them through the painting.

All in all it's a start. The axle housings will be completed in order to give me a sense of progress. Once they are finished the engine will be pulled for the rebuild and the transfer case dropped. With any luck the axles, engine, body, and brake work will be complete prior to my deployment in February. The frame will be finished while I'm gone and when I return it'll be a matter of paint and putting it all back together ... it all sounds so simple doesn't it?


Frontal View, axle housing removed


Axle housing awaiting rebuild


The reason we're here to begin with!

No comments: