Monday, July 7, 2008

Paint stripping 101 ... from a newbie.

As we started this project, I knew there were multiple layers of both automotive pains and general household paints covering the aluminum. The white layer on top had been brush rolled, which was a good 100-foot paint job, but anything closer than that and you started seeing brush strokes and drips and runs.

I headed over to the storage unit and picked up the two sides of the top, which had been off of the truck since the temperature rose above forty. After doing some general prep work, i.e. chipping away the paint that had already started peeling, I read the directions on the small jug of Tal-Strip II, Aircraft Paint Remover. I started with a small can because I didn't want to buy an enormous jug of something I was unhappy with, but stuck with for the duration. Needless to say, this was a smart move.




The inside of the topside I started with was, in my opinion, going to be one of the most difficult because of the nooks and crannies on the inner panel. I donned my overalls and respirator and gloves and poured some of the stripper in a pan and brushed on as directions indicated. Within a minute or so of application the paint began to bubble and split, eating through the first layer of paint.

Almost immediately I knew this was going to be a chore and I started seeing several different colors of paint - white on top, light green, dark green, black, and then finally a Land Rover tan underneath it all! I had my work cut out for me!


After the stripper had setup, I removed it with a bristle brush and a scraper and then rinsed with water. After a few coats I had the finish down to a gleaming bare aluminum. I was at first worried about using a sander on the metal, but after some research and debate, figured in the end it wasn't going to matter too much if there were some fine imperfections - this wasn't after all a concourse restoration and some of the smaller dents and dings in the body were going to be left in situ for character.

I didn't want something showroom perfect, because I think Series trucks that look immaculate look unused. Shawna and I saw a Series with perfectly straight body panels and paint in North Carolina a few years ago and I remarked it had been abused. Shawna asked what I meant, and I replied that the truck had never been used for it's intended purpose, and therefore, was being wasted by the owner. That's just my opinion though.

I can say without a doubt though, the Tal-Strip is toxic. Use in a well ventilated area and cover your entire body! I got some on my forearm and it burned something fierce. I bought mine at a local auto parts store though so I'm sure you can find it anywhere. Once that smaller jug was gone though I asked some questions and found another product, Tal-Strip II which is environmentally friendly, a little less toxic, but much easier to use.

Here are some pictures of the passenger side top after all was said and done. One panel down as far as the paint stripping is concerned, stay tuned.

1 comment:

car parts said...

Thanks for this blog, I get inspired to learn several things from how to paint a car up to repairing and upgrading the parts.